Tuesday, October 7, 2008

[T]he [A]merican [P]residential [E]lection [:] [A] [L]ook [A]t [M]y [P]olitical [V]iews

[W]hen it comes to my attitude towards political views I would have to say that the two major influences upon me is my family and the mass-media. Since I am only 17, and do not turn 18 until October 31, I will not get a chance to vote in the upcoming election. This is disappointing to me because I have always been one to follow the election closely, and watch the national debates on television. I feel that having an age restriction of 18 to vote is a little high, considering as students we begin to learn it in the later stages of our primary education.
[T]o Begin, I would say my family is the most influential when it comes to my political views. Even though I have not reached the voting age, when election’s come, it usually contributes to the majority of the conversations that take place in my household, as I have 4 eligible voters living there. My parents have never really closely followed the election for themselves; it’s usually my sisters that do all the research. I never really did understand why my parents never did a lot of research. Don’t they want the best future possible for me and my sisters? Although I know my parents care for me very much it is just frustrating that I am not able to voice my opinion till I am 18.
[T]he media has also had a major influence towards my political views. Everywhere you go there is signs posted saying “Vote Green” or “Vote Liberal” and you see them nearly every day. As well there are commercials on tv, broadcasting over the radio and internet, as well as flyers that come to your home. When election time comes, you are bombarded with everyone else’s political views. It is hard then to vote without having something to persuade you towards a certain party.
[W]hen I Compare the Canadian election, to the American election it really is similar in a variety of ways. Although the Americans are voting for one individual to run their entire country, we are essentially doing the same, just there are a lot more steps in getting there. When you think of the process it takes to become a potential candidate we all know that you need to have a certain status within society in order to be in the running. We have seen this in the past with George Bush, and almost in this recent election with Hilary Clinton.
[I]n Conclusion, voting has not become a huge part of my life just yet, as I am unable to vote. Through my family and mass media I have been able to see the affects that influence someone to vote a particular way. I have also been able to see the affects of roles within a society, and status among individuals living within the society. My final words would have to be if you don’t care about health care, the economy, global warming, your future, then don’t vote.

* [T]ake a look at this you-tube video (I have attached the link below). The majority of you have probably already seen it, but I think it is a great video just before the upcoming election.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8y1e-z1JA0

No comments: